The first publication in a new annual report series focused primarily on labelled green bonds and the latest developments on a global scale.
- Labelled green bond issuance of USD167.6bn (2017: USD162.1bn)
- Market share: USA 20%, China 18%, France 8%, Germany 5%, Netherlands 4%
- Top 3 issuers: Fannie Mae, USA (USD 20.1bn), Industrial Bank, China (USD9.6bn), Republic of France (USD6bn)
- Cumulative green bond issuance since 2007 reached USD521bn, with USA leading at USD118.6bn, followed by China (USD77.5bn) and France (USD56.7bn)
Wider labelled bond universe:
- USD167.6bn green bonds, which meet the CBI green bond database screening criteria
- USD21.0bn sustainability / SDG / ESG bonds and loans financing a mix of green and social projects
- USD14.2bn social bonds financing social projects, without an identified green angle
- USD23.7bn green bonds, which do not meet the CBI green bond database screening criteria
Outlook for 2019 and beyond:
- Green bond growth expected from financial institutions, sovereigns, Certified Climate Bonds and climate-aligned issuers
- Continued harmonisation of taxonomies and use of green bond guidelines
- Growth of other labelled issuance (sustainability/SDG bonds and social bonds)
The information provided in this report is of a general nature and has been prepared for information purposes only. It is not intended to constitute research or as advice for any investor. The information in this report is not and should not be construed or considered as an offer, recommendation or solicitation for investments. Investors are advised to make their own independent evaluation of the information contained in this report, consider their own individual investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs and should seek appropriate personalised financial advice from a qualified professional to suit individual circumstances and risk profile.
The information contained in this report is prepared from data believed to be correct and reliable at the time of issuance of this report. While every effort is made to ensure the information is up-to-date and correct, Bond and Sukuk Information Platform Sdn Bhd (“the Company”) does not make any guarantee, representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the adequacy, accuracy, completeness, reliability or fairness of any such information contained in this report and accordingly, neither the Company nor any of its affiliates nor its related persons shall not be liable in any manner whatsoever for any consequences (including but not limited to any direct, indirect or consequential losses, loss of profits and damages) of any reliance thereon or usage thereof.